Friday, October 31, 2008

The Korgis "Everybody's got to learn sometime" (1980)



  • I have heard only some other songs by the Korgis, haven't liked them that much, so I am only praising their most famous single.

  • "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" is probably one of the best pop songs that have ever existed. Everything is in great balance, and while the recording date is 1980, you may find some "dated" effect but surprisingly, for more modern ears, the synth sound seems a bit like ambient.

  • The classic song itself lies somewhere (interesting) between 1970s soft-rock and 1980s synth-pop, offering a melody and chord changes worth calling them "genius". Check this.

1 comment:

Duncanmusic said...

I love this song, too, though I never found anything its equal in their earlier Lp release and subsequent LP.

What I DO remember is that this song and Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight' were all over the airways during the first week of December 1980, th week John Lennon got shot.

Somehow, they were both comforting in a strange way...I remember hearing BOTH on the radio in my car on my way to an outside vigil for Lennon the day after and will forever associate them both with that night and that time.

I believe Beck did a pretty good cover of this a couple of years ago for a movie. I might have one other cover somewhere, too.

I do agree: almost a perfect pop song, though slightly too attached to its era.